Translate

Monday, July 28, 2014

Macaroni and Brie with Crab

I know I am not supposed to relieve stress with food, but desperate times call for desperate measures. My husband (Jacob) and I are about to relocate our entire lives. We are changing schools, cities, and jobs all at once.  Portland is a giant place, much larger than the quiet town of Corvallis that we are used to.  As much as I complain that there isn't a whole lot to do in Corvallis, I am going to miss its beautiful brick buildings and friendly people.

Moving is tough: saying goodbye to friends, getting used to new streets, shops, and people...the unfamiliarity of it is unsettling.

We are moving farther away from my family than ever before, and into city life...which I don't necessarily appreciate.  I can see myself on a small farm in the future, living the simple life, but for now I join the rat race of the city. I know that my life is about to change, so for today comfort food is the answer, maybe tomorrow there will be room for optimism.

Macaroni and Brie with Crab
Servings: 6-8

Ingredients: 

1 medium onion, diced

3 cloves crushed garlic

5 tablespoons salted butter

1 pound uncooked pasta, macaroni noodles
( I like fresh egg pasta)

1/3 cup flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

2 teaspoons dried dill 

3 cups chicken broth or milk

½ pound Brie cheese, trimmed and chopped
(reserve 8 small wedges for topping, if desired)

½ pound White Cheddar cheese, chopped  

1 pound can claw crab meat
(drained, flaked, and any cartilage removed)

Few sprigs of fresh dill 


Method:

1. In large skillet cook garlic and onion in butter over medium-low heat about 15 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return to pot.

2. Add flour, salt, dried dill, and pepper to onion in skillet; stir until combined, about 1 minute. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Gradually add chopped cheese; cook over medium-low heat until cheese melts. Stir into pasta. Fold in crab. Transfer to serving dishes, garnish with dill and brie.Bon Appetit!

How do YOU deal with stressful times? Comment below! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment